<< >>
justin = { main feed , music , code , askjf , pubkey };recent comments
search

Recent comments:

Posted by Emanuele on Sun 28 Mar 2021 at 15:00 from 84.52.237.x
Hi Justin, take care and it'll get better!

Posted by Justin on Sat 27 Mar 2021 at 09:41 from 71.167.52.x
hah! still using gnu libc etc, but iirc busybox and replaced /bin/init with a shell script :)

Posted by Zoom on Sat 27 Mar 2021 at 05:49 from 88.201.132.x
>Jesusonic/linux

Reads like you have a complete Linux userspace written in JS to replace GNU. That would be hilarious, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted by Justin on Tue 02 Feb 2021 at 12:18 from 71.167.52.x
Thanks Martin, that's pretty consistent with my understanding (and what my Chiropractor has said)... the Orthopedist seemed less interested in that, though.

Posted by Martin on Mon 01 Feb 2021 at 06:52 from 91.50.109.x
There is a youtube channel about stretching excercises to combat pains caused by monotone movements or postures. Their theory is that fascia tissue foreshortens from excercise and that leads to excessive pressure on the joints, which causes the pain. So where you talk about strengthening certain muscles, they'd recommend stretching the opposing muscles instead. Search on youtube for "Liebscher & Bracht – The Pain Specialists" to find their channel. The TL;DR version is: stretch the muscles you use most during running every day, and hold each stretch for at least 90 seconds, then ease out of it very slowly. It's supposed to hurt a little bit, but not so much that you couldn't smile anymore while doing it. I've had great results from this with fixing tendonitis in my arm and reducing some thumb joint pain. Maybe it can help you too? If it works, it should feel better fairly quickly, but of course your mileage may vary. And especially since you have prior injuries, maybe check in with your orthopedist first.
Good luck and get well soon!

Posted by Gio on Fri 15 Jan 2021 at 16:00 from 94.70.31.x
Sorry to hear about that, I wish you well. What I learned from my own experience is that a middle aged man should probably exercise in moderation or to put it otherwise in accordance to his own strength probably never in excess. As the ancient Greek saying goes ``Pan metron ariston'' (Everything in moderation).

Posted by Justin on Sun 03 Jan 2021 at 17:19 from 71.167.52.x
heh thanks... I think it'll all be OK, just the challenges of aging...

Posted by Tale on Sun 03 Jan 2021 at 06:10 from 77.170.68.x
Ah don't read, right... Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your knee, and I hope it will get better in time. And else I guess you can always reconsider surgery sometime in the future.

Posted by toqer on Thu 31 Dec 2020 at 17:50 from 152.131.10.x
Just be careful db.. I started running like a madman in 2013 or so, was able to do 4 miles a day, now I have no cartilage in the right knee. Take it easy, space out a day between runs to let your body recharge.

Posted by 2020 on Sun 18 Oct 2020 at 20:17 from 109.181.167.x
and so- the edges meet the middle! your next test is to do it blindfolded!!
(i really like the mountains part...but meh the rest tbh!! when people have the ability of photo realism this particular style falters in comparison imo) although it is still rather attractive in some ways.
the forgotten arts..the lost arts..the divine artist. ;)
Puzzles are interesting..they engage the senses in a rather poetic way..because when the puzzle is completed,the arranger must seek a new piece to "finish"..onward and upwards,dear justin.
Be well.

Posted by A person from New Zealand on Mon 12 Oct 2020 at 04:16 from 222.153.61.x
Nice.

Posted by berrypicker on Mon 21 Sep 2020 at 02:01 from 69.172.165.x
EASY! Just a Jigsaw Falling Into Place, no?

Posted by jakob on Thu 30 Jul 2020 at 07:48 from 87.141.33.x
Hah, I did something similar just a few days ago, and got myself an X61 (I had the X60 too back in the days, but the X61 has guaranteed 64bit CPU, so no hassle on ebay).

I also have a minimal Linux and REAPER on it, and use it for JSFX as a live vocals effects kit. So far it's great. I would have loooved to use the ncurses-based JSFX standalone, just for the visual aestethics onscreen. But alright, I'll take all the features of REAPER in exchange for not being able to show of my inner Hackerman. ;)

Posted by Albi on Tue 02 Jun 2020 at 08:01 from 217.138.216.x
Haha, poor me trying to think of a chapter in the book 1984 where they mention a bird: "Maybe when the couple were going out for the first time in the woods?"
Now it turns out, the title refers to the year of the painting...

Posted by Justin on Sat 30 May 2020 at 12:37 from 71.167.52.x
I don't remember how long I spent on this one, it was when I was 5 or 6 haha. I think the most I've spent on a painting recently is an hour or two.

Posted by Gio on Fri 29 May 2020 at 09:51 from 94.70.5.x
I have also noticed that oil paintings with time (10+ yrs) looks much better and pleasing, or it's just me liking old things...

Posted by Gio on Fri 29 May 2020 at 09:33 from 94.70.5.x
How much time (on average) do you devote for each painting and how you come up with a topic, is there a process or just random things? My sister used to do water painting but never learned anything from her, these days we have a few ``masterpieces'' hanging around as a reminder of that great period. Funny thing is when I read your code I perceive it as something abstract and artistic rather than something structured and in order which probably justifies your tendencies, although I might be wrong...

Posted by Justin on Fri 08 May 2020 at 18:21 from 71.167.52.x
The looper is super8 JSFX (included with REAPER), the drum machine is RS5k with the big mono samples

Posted by Justin on Sat 18 Apr 2020 at 00:07 from 71.167.52.x
I have a short attention span for most things :)

Posted by sousastep on Fri 17 Apr 2020 at 02:07 from 68.194.88.x
I'd like to hear the music people are making on computers with more than 64 cores!

Posted by bee on Thu 16 Apr 2020 at 18:23 from 95.151.177.x
Sketchy! - hey,what plug in are you triggering here? care to share?

Posted by bee on Thu 16 Apr 2020 at 18:21 from 95.151.177.x
hmmm -is it the carrots birthday,or yours? :)
Seems you care very little for greater detailing with some creations..why so?
Am sensing you have more a gift,which is hiding somewhere!?
Let it shine brightly!! (our family moto= I shine not burn:: luceo non uro)

Posted by bee on Tue 14 Apr 2020 at 19:53 from 95.151.177.x
People are either service to self,or service to others.
No amount of money will ever change that imo- especially once we hit the final graveyard or urn.
Being *greedy* and power hungry,is what leaves others in need.
The worlds highest earners could be capped at sensible limits,imo,to leave some fruits for others,and put back into health and infrastructure systems.

Tea bags are more useful than shitbags.lmao.
Hope your enjoying the fruits of the pedal boards labourers.
+Enjoy the fruits of nature,care for them,and they will care for you. ;)
Bless the human hands.

Posted by schmoe on Sun 12 Apr 2020 at 12:08 from 172.218.181.x
I'm in Canada, but I was watching the "bag of shit" in a press conference the other day and to me he looks lost, like he's just saying things with no attempt to look like he believes any of it. I hope you and your family (and your city) come out the other side of this stronger.

Posted by Justin on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 23:01 from 71.167.52.x
The cotton mask has paper filters in between (there's a shell and a liner).

Posted by bee on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 20:34 from 95.148.58.x
heh- wowzers- try a painters or gas mask > either will fully protect you from most anything! the shabby felt/material ones are next to useless (imo)
i used to run on the spot at high speed..decent workout and no need to mingle in the jungle ;) although getting 'fresh' air obviously has the advantages over indoor activities in some respects..
be well,stay safer- do not feed the fear factor +shine your inner light outwards!
bless.

Posted by Justin on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 15:18 from 71.167.52.x
(also, still running in public when the (bad) weather permits)

Posted by Justin on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 15:17 from 71.167.52.x
schmoe -- the mask works OK, not great for running or biking though, too much movement and it's too heavy for that I think?

bee -- it's not penny pinching, it's wanting to not take a mask from someone who needs it more urgently than I do.

Posted by bee on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 09:33 from 95.148.58.x
lol-- the 'make your own mask' thing is seriously penny pinching (for a multi_millionaire!)
+the video reminds me of a rat stuck in the maze-while the scientists watch on :P

Posted by schmoe on Sat 28 Mar 2020 at 18:44 from 172.218.181.x
How's that mask working out? Are you running in public again or is that not allowed amymore anyway?

Posted by bee on Fri 27 Mar 2020 at 17:00 from 2.26.240.x
btw- when adding a comment here now..the font size is incredibly tiny until posted+viewed (jfyi)

Posted by bee on Fri 27 Mar 2020 at 16:58 from 2.26.240.x
try running backwards..or sideways ;) = whole different experience!

Posted by macbrains on Mon 23 Mar 2020 at 17:15 from 95.151.177.x
head to> Antarctica! but leave the shorts @ home... i hear the bug does not like the cold ;)

Posted by Gio on Fri 20 Mar 2020 at 19:37 from 85.72.89.x
A friend of mine was telling me how disappointed she was when she found out that her boyfriend's legs were smoother than hers.

Posted by Justin on Fri 20 Mar 2020 at 12:09 from 108.30.215.x
So you're saying I should shave my legs?!

NY finally getting a "stay home" order, phew.

Posted by Gio on Thu 19 Mar 2020 at 05:50 from 85.72.89.x
Not into hairy legs but that doesn't stop me to leave a comment. It's good to hear that you are taking precaution measurements, it's good for you but for other members of society too, especially the loved ones. I have also practicing social distancing from the very start, I see it as some kind of responsibility after reading about all the mess around the world, and programming thankfully is a good company to spend some time in an isolated environment (home). Here in GR the government was somehow immediate in taking various measurements and bans but the immaturity of a large portion of the society is scary. For example they banned restaurants, night clubs, cinema and anything related to public gathering but some people ignored all that and where organizing/doing beach parties without any protection or whatever. I mean there are times I question the decision capability of the average person or their intention to follow some very basic rules for the overall public safety; and in general it's very difficult to deal with that kind of people. But, I was expecting NYC to have a more sophisticated reaction on such matters, here it's mostly village mentality...

Anyway keep it safe and enjoyable, I always believed that a person that cares about himself/herself always aims for the long-term of any situation.

Posted by Justin on Wed 04 Mar 2020 at 08:30 from 108.30.215.x
Yeah, on my re-install I just got the things installed I needed, didn't bother with anything else. I usually boot that machine to Ubuntu... (it might have been an ubuntu grub update that lost the bitlocker key? I'll never know!)

Posted by Gio on Wed 04 Mar 2020 at 05:54 from 94.70.31.x
Hmm, very interesting...

Posted by Gio on Wed 04 Mar 2020 at 05:45 from 94.70.31.x
Windows is in a sad state. From new year I reverted from Linux to Win10 for my dev machine, the truth is that I missed Windows after a long absence. Working with it with no problems since then; but I am afraid to do anything, the OS is pretty much stock with an install of VS and that's it. And on every update I just cross my fingers... All other machines are a flavor of Debian or Slackware to get the feeling that I am in control.

Posted by Justin on Sun 01 Dec 2019 at 10:46 from 108.30.215.x
and by tricky I mean, not practical for real world use (you can *hope* that the system will draw your bitmap before you need to resize it in response to a user action, but can you ever know???).

Posted by Justin on Sun 01 Dec 2019 at 10:13 from 108.30.215.x
Just a note -- if you use wantsLayer/drawsAsync, you need to make sure your source bitmap is persistent and not resized until it gets drawn. So it's a bit tricky sometimes.

Posted by Colin on Wed 27 Nov 2019 at 04:09 from 93.220.15.x
Thanks for looking into this. Much appreciated!

Posted by bawake on Wed 25 Sep 2019 at 21:33 from 2.25.95.x
voice is coming along now...your really starting to open up!!
you have hidden powers..let them out! ;)

Posted by bawake on Wed 25 Sep 2019 at 21:30 from 2.25.95.x
interesting choice of lampshades!! obviously,it makes everything much better sounding..kinda grass hat style! portable echo chamber!
tunes are coming along.. welldone.

Posted by Chris on Fri 20 Sep 2019 at 10:13 from 204.13.44.x
Wow, wantsLayer and drawsAsync made a night and day difference here - thanks for this deep dive. The obscure, ever changing nature of this issue has definitely been a bear.

Posted by Justin on Mon 05 Aug 2019 at 20:40 from 108.30.215.x
ah nice! I should try the drawsAsynchronously attribute... though I might still need to use metal in order to do partial updates and out-of-context updates...

Posted by Daniel X on Sun 04 Aug 2019 at 10:38 from 174.56.59.x
I was having the same problem (and have been following your saga since 2017, when I first became aware of similar issues, first with Cairo, now with my own library)

Anyway, I just stumbled upon somebody's git commit and it solved my issue (and how!)

github.com/aseprite/laf/commit/cf9...

My code which draws a CGImage, then some more stuff on top of it, went from < 5fps full screen to 100+, on a 5k iMac.

Posted by irb on Tue 16 Jul 2019 at 07:42 from 2.26.240.x
=) ahhh yesyes...generations of musical tastes..
a question that need only be answered by thyself= "do i want to be a rockstar,or king coder?"
wish you great learning!

Posted by Justin on Sat 13 Jul 2019 at 22:46 from 108.30.215.x
At different times in my life, definitely. RHCP - BSSM was a big influence to the 13 year-old me...

Posted by bri on Fri 12 Jul 2019 at 07:50 from 2.26.240.x
heh-nice....really like the band morphing thing.. ;)
few bum notes..but overall, it sounds very much like your getting good band unity going--timing is tighter-passion+skill increases,as confidence grows!
i guess a lot of music is about total confidence- in 1's own performances/abilities +others around..
tbh though-the guy sitting down on stage,did'nt really work forme* :p
keep going... eventually it will all just snap into place. synchonized_ synchronicity! =)

question: "did you have 1 song that really used to energize you as a younger person? any 1 song/style in particular have a massive inspiration effect??"
search : Copyright © 2021 Justin Frankel